Case study: Kidney transplant plus breast cancer diagnosis and continuous prophylactic chemotherapy
- September 29, 2023
- Posted by: Dr. Martha Lucas
- Category: Blog
We thought we’d share a case study with you. If you have questions about it or would like to discuss it with Martha (Dr. Lucas), please contact her here.
This is a 52 year old female who had a kidney transplant in 2014 (IgA nephropathy) and was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2020 for which she is on a continuous Trodelvy chemotherapy infusions for prevention.
Her request was to have acupuncture pre-chemotherapy treatment to help prevent the overwhelming nausea. She says that the nausea is so bad that she can’t eat for several days after each infusion which are every other week. She is also starting to suffer from anticipatory nausea.
She (we’ll call her Helen) receives treatment once/week and we’ll number them.
- Open Dai Mai, choose points on the St channel downward (St 8, St 25, St 41), Ren 12, SJ6, Kidney channel up (K7, 16, 27), Lu 1, Chong Mai, bilateral Pc6, Yintang.
- From treatment #1, Helen reported that there was NO nausea after the infusion but she did feel tired. Opened the Dai Mai, St channel down like Tx#1, Kidney channel up (like Tx#1), open the Liver channel (Liv5, 14, Lu 1), Ren 14, what Dr. Lucas calls “the 3” = Anmian, Ear Shenmen, Du 20, bilateral Pc 6. We added Gua Sha on the neck and shoulders to this treatment.
- There was some nausea this week but better by acupuncture day; constipated. Open Dai Mai. Needled the “local” liver area down to Gb 26 to help drain toxicity and stagnation from the liver. Ren 12 and 14, St 25, St 36, Sp 6, Liv 3, Lu 1.
- No nausea this week but felt bloated. Local liver points, Ren 14, St 25, St 36, Sp 15, Sp 6, K 2.
- A little nausea after the infusion but she could eat which is so important for her. Some bloating and constipation for a day or two. St 8, 25, and 41; Liv 2, local liver, Pc 3 and 6, Chong, Lu 1, Gb34.
- Had a much better infusion experience; no 3 days of nausea, eating well, but a little tired. Open Dai Mai, Gb26, Liv 2, 14, Lu 1; St 8, 25, 41; Chong Mai, Pc 6, Ht 7, Yintang.
- Had infusion yesterday but not much nausea, eating, a little tired; feels dehydrated. Local liver points, Liver 2, 14; St 36, Du 20, Sp 6 and 9, St 8 and 40; Chong Mai, Pc 6.
Let us know if you have any questions.